Clarification-the future of PowerCadd

PowerCADD & WildTools
Rik Negus

Clarification-the future of PowerCadd

Post by Rik Negus » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:18 pm

In the past I have written some view points about the future of PowerCadd with a considerable amount of frustration.

I have recently had the opportunity to communicate with Todd outside of this form and through that process I have a much greater understanding of what is happening behind the development process. As a 30 year user of this amazing program I now stand committed to staying the course and supporting Todd into the future.

It is call Trust.

EONorton

Re: Clarification-the future of PowerCadd

Post by EONorton » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:19 pm

I REALLY want to stay with PowerCADD, however the silence is deafening. The last update I found was in May of 2020 and Albert or Todd said they expected 1 year. I know it has been a crazy year full of uncertainty, but I am having issues with my computers that Apple can't (or won't) deal with until I upgrade to the latest OS so I caught between a rock and a hard place.

Have you heard anything recently about an expected release date? Anything??

Thanks,
Escott

Jon Buswell

Post by Jon Buswell » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:07 am

Hi All,

I think it would be good, given the events of the last year to get an update on where things stand with PowerCADD.

For instance, is it going to work on machines with the M1 chip, or is that another hurdle Todd will have to get over.

I’m also conscious that I haven’t paid for an update for getting on for a decade, which, given I pay $1k a year for a Vectorworks service contract seems deeply unfair (as VW is full of bugs and generally doesn’t work properly for roughly half of the year).

Like most of us probably. I’d be happy to pre-pay for an update to give ENGSW some extra revenue to make the development quicker and more predictable.

PowerCADD is still my go to software for doing quick work, so like all of us who contribute to this forum, we are eager for news so we can plan our setups.

Thanks

EONorton

Post by EONorton » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:02 am

Agreed. I would pay now for an upgrade if I had an idea when it would be ready. On the other hand, if we can’t get a date, I need to start looking for other options.

I really hope we hear something from ENGSW soon!

Cheers,
Escott

Rik Negus

Post by Rik Negus » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:19 pm

I am in full agreement, yes I am ready to pay for the upgrade.

Todd if you are reading this know that you have a lot of supporters willing to pay for an upgrade.

All I can do is wish you well and trust that you are doing the work but you need to communicate with us.

Keith Renton

Post by Keith Renton » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:53 am

Likewise I agree that we should have to pay if we want upgrades. As is stands I can't see how Powercadd can continue to exist as a business if it has little or no income so have no difficulty in paying I'd even consider an annual license if that would secure the long term future of Powercadd

The problem with obsolete hardware and system software must be an increasing problem for us all, I desperately need to upgrade but am tied until I know with confidence that I can still run my most used piece of software: Powecadd!

gsberwick

Post by gsberwick » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:59 pm

I'm in too with my $$$. Running an 8 year old MacBook Air, will upgrade hardware once I can run PowerCadd natively. User since PowerDraw 4.0.

patrickm

Post by patrickm » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:27 pm

I'm in a similar fix. Running PC on a 2017 iMac. Been a user since PowerDraw 4.

RRichards

Post by RRichards » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:04 pm

I'm in the same boat. I have 2 macs that will be replaced this year—my laptop is 9 years old and showing its age badly and the screen on an old iMac doesn't work so I have 2 monitors attached. I've tried running PCADD in a virtual Mojave in Parallels running on Big Sur and it does work and the speed is fine. The problem is this setup limits everything in Mojave to a single window and even on a 27" monitor it is very limiting.

I'm astounded that we haven't paid anything for a very long while and also willing to help fund a new version if this would help. And I'm DEFINITELY on board to beta test a new version. I save documents frequently plus TimeMachine so I'm not all that worried about crashes.

I have my fingers crossed…

Ralph

bo5

Post by bo5 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:08 pm

do you have a time frame to upgrade