PowerCADD & WildTools
Matt_A

Re: Life after/beyond PowerCadd?

Post by Matt_A » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:43 pm

S. Shubin wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:14 pm
Derek wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:59 pm
Perhaps some folks just want to be using an operating system that is supported with security updates
Excellent point Derek

What you have stated is exactly how I feel
Who is going to protect you from Apple?

S. Shubin

Post by S. Shubin » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:11 pm

Matt_A wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:43 pm
Who is going to protect you from Apple?
Well there are such things as computer viruses to think about

lava

Post by lava » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:45 pm

Matt_A wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:30 pm
Sorry if I was unclear, Greg. I am asking for examples of announced features in the next generation of Apple machines/OS that folks find compelling enough to make immediate upgrading a necessity.
I agree that there is little compelling reason to upgrade a machine based on features or speed. PowerCadd runs more than fast enough, and I find the form factor of my laptop more than adequate (except I might willingly run away from the task bar thing in favor of normal function keys).

But I think you are totally missing the concern around this. I am not concerned about a conflict from wanting to update to a new machine. I am concerned about damaging, or losing my computer for other reasons that would leave me without an option to buy a new machine that can run PowerCadd. My only choice would be the used or refurbished market for a replacement, which I could do, but would certainly not be my first choice.

Until recently this was not a concern. If I dropped or broke my machine, or if my bag was stolen, a quick trip to the Apple Store and I'd have a new machine and be back up and running in a matter of hours. But now I can't do that. If my computer goes down I could be several days of lost work waiting for a replacement, and a replacement that may be of dubious condition. Am I to purchase a back-up machine now, and keep it waiting in the wings for disaster to strike? Do I have to establish a routine to keep its battery fresh? How long will it last being largely unused? Sure it's doable. Far from ideal.

The only compelling reason for a new machine is a loss of my current machine, not a desire for an upgrade. Unfortunately it is not a remote possibility.
Greg La Vardera
www.lamidesign.com

poolvibe

Post by poolvibe » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:57 pm

Not to mention that many developers stop supporting older installs as time marches on. It is just a matter of time before something doesn't work in Mojave let alone High Sierra. Another concern is battery life. The newer laptops are awesome. It's remarkable how long one can go without a charge.

bellarchitect

Post by bellarchitect » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:53 pm

With great hesitation and a lot of soul searching and thought, I purchased a new 2019 MBP from Best Buy as a back-up. I would have rather spent the money (around $3,000) on an upgrade to PowerCADD and continue to use my current 2016 15” MBP. I do have an older 2006 24” iMac, a 15” 2011 MBP, two hard drives in cases running Mavericks and the potential of two 2015 13” MBAir’s from my daughters once they decide to upgrade. Yea, that’s a lot of hardware to keep on hand to run a program….but, it’s my only choice at this time. More editorializing to come………

Frank Bell, Architect
Pittstown, NJ
www.bellarchitect.com

S. Shubin

Post by S. Shubin » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:38 pm

For you guys that will be stockpiling old hardware —

Your batteries might need, or may do better with some preventative maintenance every now and then

This is a great website regarding batteries

https://batteryuniversity.com/articles

Don’t the desktop Macs have some kind of a little battery in there too? So make sure you think about that one also

I’ve got a little portable back up battery. It’s lithium ion. Seems like I read that you should charge those things up at least once a year. I think they wanted a full charge once a year if nothing else

lava

Post by lava » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:19 am

S. Shubin wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:38 pm
For you guys that will be stockpiling old hardware —
simply madness.
Matt_A wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:30 pm
Sorry if I was unclear, Greg. I am asking for examples of announced features in the next generation of Apple machines/OS that folks find compelling enough to make immediate upgrading a necessity.
If I was unclear, let me ask directly:

Has Apples announcement of a move to the IOS oriented Swift given a date when Cocoa based programing would no longer run?

And if it follows the pattern we've seen with the phase out of Carbon, wouldn't that suggest that Cocoa based apps may yet run for years?

If so, then a 64bit Cocoa based PowerCadd10 which could run on Apple M1 silicone now, and likely for at least several years and OS versions forward?

And even as we sit now lamenting our options, such a PowerCadd10 beta is already running, and could give us access to current OS and hardware?

So rather than wondering where to acquire and how to maintain a 2-3year old machine to insure we can run PowerCadd9, instead...

We could run PowerCadd10 on current hardware until such a time Apple pulls Cocoa support, plus 2 or 3 years of old machines at that future point..

We could carry forward the viability of the current programing 4,5, or maybe even 6 years conservatively - Carbon has been in play far longer,

And why shouldn't Todd collect this update fee for work he has already booked?

And why shouldn't we all enjoy and and utilize the value that Todd has here created?

And why shouldn't we have several years to ponder the best way to move PowerCadd forward from Cocoa to Swift?

And then several more years to actually have the work done?

And is there any reason that all of us here should not work to make this compelling future for PowerCadd?

And exactly who's hair is on fire? (people buying old machines?)
Last edited by lava on Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg La Vardera
www.lamidesign.com

EduardoJB

Post by EduardoJB » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:36 am

I think there are plenty of compelling reasons for wanting to upgrade to newer machines. They are other software with updates that don’t work with Mojave, apart from other things that will need newer OSs in order to sync and work properly with other devices of Apple’s ecosystem. If the only program you’re running in your machine is PC, sure, keep the older machine until it dies, just don’t expect to be using the same machine for other programs too, which will be very, very inconvenient. But if you want, or need, a newer OS, there will be no choice but to buy a newer machine for everything else. In fact, you will probably have to also buy an old back-up machine while you can. Something like a 2014 Mac Mini. We are talking at least three machines. It is not a sensible solution. I hope RealCad or HighDesign or Trimble or whatever company realize they could have a much better product if they further develop or integrate PC. What’s wrong with wanting the newest technology available?

SteveMouzon

Post by SteveMouzon » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:46 pm

lava wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:19 am
And even as we sit now lamenting our options, such a PowerCadd10 beta is already running, and could give us access to current OS and hardware?
Where is the PowerCADD 10 beta?

lava

Post by lava » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:52 pm

SteveMouzon wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:46 pm
Where is the PowerCADD 10 beta?
It is wherever it was when Todd stopped working on it.

Let me try to put this in even simpler terms.

We have an achievable hurdle to complete a 64bit Cocoa based PC10 that would run right now on M1 silicone, and could carry us out 6,8, or even 10 years...

...assuming Apple supports it as long as they supported Carbon (which is what has us cut-off right now)

That gives us a lot of time to figure out how to move to Swift. Why wouldn't we do that?
Greg La Vardera
www.lamidesign.com