Derek
Site Admin

Re: PowerCADD Future

Post by Derek » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:39 pm

EduardoJB wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:55 pm
Charles Freeborn wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:48 pm
I am assuming that PC will not run on a new iMac running OS 11.5. Is this true?
Yep, it won’t. The only solution for now is to get another older Mac (2014 Mini if you have another screen) with an older OS - not newer than Mojave)
Or you can buy a new Mac with an Intel processor running macOS 11.5 and run PC in Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion.

SteveMouzon

Post by SteveMouzon » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:59 pm

My Mac is a 15-inch MacBook Pro, mid-2019, running Mojave. This setup works fine. No need for an earlier computer.

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:42 pm

SteveMouzon wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:59 pm
My Mac is a 15-inch MacBook Pro, mid-2019, running Mojave. This setup works fine. No need for an earlier computer.
I'm still running on my late 2009 Mac Pro with Mojave and have no plan or need to get a newer Mac. Now that I'm retired my biggest problem when its motherboard dies will be the discussion with my wife about how much we can spend on a new Mac.

SteveMouzon

Post by SteveMouzon » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:07 am

I hope my retirement date coincides with the day of my death, so I'm invested in keeping this going longer if at all possible.

Charles Freeborn

Post by Charles Freeborn » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:54 pm

Derek wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:39 pm
EduardoJB wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:55 pm
Charles Freeborn wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:48 pm
I am assuming that PC will not run on a new iMac running OS 11.5. Is this true?
Yep, it won’t. The only solution for now is to get another older Mac (2014 Mini if you have another screen) with an older OS - not newer than Mojave)
Or you can buy a new Mac with an Intel processor running macOS 11.5 and run PC in Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion.
Not going to jump through all those hoops. I'm winding down too, so I'll likely hunt around for a video card for the old iMac and when it fails entirely call it a day with PC (unless there's a buyout and update). For new design work I'll do it in FormZ and hope that they take Alfred up on his offer of the WT code and add it to their "layout" application. Meanwhile I do still own an old and very slow previous iMac that I can use to convert PC drawings to .dwg and then open in F•Z if absolutely necessary. My line of work (fine furniture making) is vanishing so I don't really expect to need access to those old drawings other than for teaching purposes.

EduardoJB

Post by EduardoJB » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:08 pm

SteveMouzon wrote:
Yes, you could do that, but... Updates of other software I use require newer OSs, and other programs I would like to have won't run on Mojave. So, it makes more sense to me to have a primary machine with all the other updated (and other new) programs and have another one, which doesn't need to be so "new" to run PC, since PC is the one not allowing me to use newer and more programs in one machine at the same time. Parallels will run in Monterey (eventually) and it already runs on the new M1 chip, but will not run Mojave with the M1 (and it won't let you use two monitors). If I get a Mini and a monitor switch, I can use my 2018 i9 MBP with Monterey with both screens and the Mini with Mojave and PC sharing the external monitor.

SteveMouzon

Post by SteveMouzon » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:55 pm

EduardoJB wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:08 pm
SteveMouzon wrote:
Yes, you could do that, but... Updates of other software I use require newer OSs, and other programs I would like to have won't run on Mojave. So, it makes more sense to me to have a primary machine with all the other updated (and other new) programs and have another one, which doesn't need to be so "new" to run PC, since PC is the one not allowing me to use newer and more programs in one machine at the same time. Parallels will run in Monterey (eventually) and it already runs on the new M1 chip, but will not run Mojave with the M1 (and it won't let you use two monitors). If I get a Mini and a monitor switch, I can use my 2018 i9 MBP with Monterey with both screens and the Mini with Mojave and PC sharing the external monitor.
I have no mission-critical software which I absolutely must upgrade past what will run on Mojave, so my intent is to muddle through on this machine until Parallels does Mojave on M1. Of course, Todd selling to Trimble to pair PowerCADD with SketchUp would make this a moot point.

ThomPratt

Post by ThomPratt » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:47 am

Posting from Toronto with 2 licenses since the early 90’s, and we would be happy paying a good dollar for an upgrade, although I know that’s not likely.

I model in rhino, bringing in exported dwg from PowerCadd

I’ve worked in Arris, AutoCAD and Revit as well as PowerCadd

Revit is simply necessary for engineering coordination on large projects here.

PowerCadd is my own clear choice for sketching and my own work.

Parallels has always really been the devils tool; working in emulation is sad in my experience when it comes to plotting printing and exporting.

Emulation on a decent OS is just a last grasp before you drown.

Merging IOS and OSX has been the Apple direction for some years now. Moving away from C++ has been inevitable. Too bad that wasn’t understood earlier.

Would have loved PowerCadd on an iPad Pro. That in retrospect, however bad, ironically may have saved the day here.

pjmeli

Post by pjmeli » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:05 pm

SteveMouzon wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:07 am
I hope my retirement date coincides with the day of my death, so I'm invested in keeping this going longer if at all possible.
:D :D :D

EduardoJB

Post by EduardoJB » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:14 pm

I received a call from a friend who's still using PC but was not aware of what is happening since she's not a member of the forum. Sadly, I reported the news. There must be quite a lot of people who have remained ignorant of the facts. Since there haven't been any recent news on further developments (other companies interested in acquiring PC or at least incorporate some of it in their software) I'm guessing this topic will slowly fade. People who had switched before the news came out had already given up and moved on. I've already ordered a 2014 MacMini just for Mojave and PC (and all the projects drawn with PC), which seems the only viable alternative if one wants to upgrade the OS in their main Mac, although Parallels just came out with V.17 which will support newer OSs, the M1 chip, and even Windows 11, BUT PC will not work with Parallels in an M1 machine (I asked and asked and asked and they responded about the things I just mentioned but completely ignored the last one about a 32bit software working with their latest version and the M1 chip). Please, those of you who have any recent, or will have, future news, do share them... Thank you.