Mojave VM on an M1 Mac

PowerCADD & WildTools
poolvibe

Re: Mojave VM on an M1 Mac

Post by poolvibe » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:22 pm

Just read through the VMWare and Parallels blogs. I'm not optimistic about running Mojave in a VM on an M1 Mac…
VMWare isn't planning to prioritize running MacOS's in a VM right away anyway…
Even if they eventually do, it probably won't run Mojave…
Well hopefully VMware or someone figures it out... I was thinking about running a cloud instance of Mojave in AWS to just remote in when I need PC. I haven't researched how it would actually work.

pjmeli

Post by pjmeli » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:53 pm

poolvibe wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:22 pm
Well hopefully VMware or someone figures it out... I was thinking about running a cloud instance of Mojave in AWS to just remote in when I need PC. I haven't researched how it would actually work.
Never thought of that…interesting
it's a last-last resort since I have have a fairly new Intel Mac…and I'm considering another one as a backup.

Apparently only ARM versions of OS's will run but then Parallels website says it will run all versions of Windows on an M1 Mac so I'm a bit confused.

Paul

pjmeli

Post by pjmeli » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:05 pm

Wonder if my Mojave VM will run on a Windows or Linux box?

Paul

poolvibe

Post by poolvibe » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:44 pm

Wonder if my Mojave VM will run on a Windows or Linux box?
Interesting... Never tried it..

pjmeli

Post by pjmeli » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:19 pm

Interesting... Never tried it..
I'll have to put Linux on one of my spare computers and try it then…
May be licensing issues but I own the computer that had the Mojave OS…

Paul

pjmeli

Post by pjmeli » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:18 pm

Apparently Apple doesn't want OSX running on non-Apple hardware, so Apple "fixed" the OS so it won't run out of the box in a VM on anything but an Apple computer.
There's a work-around to run on Windows or Linux but it's a bit like making a Hackintosh, so some functionality/reliability may be lost

Most of us don't have time to fool with that kind of stuff. I've built Hackintoshes in the past but never really trusted them for serious work.

Paul

David Jones

Post by David Jones » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:35 am

I note that Monterey will work on the MacPro 2019 with its intel chip according to Apple. I have a 2019 MacPro and I have Big Sur with Parallels installed and Mojave installed in the VM and it works ok. For the time being I am using Mojave on my 2017 iMac and that is where I mainly use my PowerCADD. I regularly talk to Derek Dubout who has been very helpful in helping me to get Mojave working in Parallels. Thank you Derek! I owe a debt of gratitude to Alfred Scott also, who has helped me to import coloured contoured topo maps to make large plans which I make into railway route maps which can be large PowerCADD files. My largest is 305MB, which would be much larger except Alfred took a lot of time to show me how to create clear maps with techniques in Photoshop to save them into the compact png8 format with 8 or 16 bit depth of colour instead of much higher bit depth. In short the files are much smaller then they would otherwise be. I make the drawings to print as long files 353mm (14”) wide by as long as 4890mm (16’). I print fold marks at 270mm (10.7”) centres so they can be folded concertina style and fitted into a normal briefcase. I save them as PDFs as well, to make them more transmissible as electronic files, which generally reduces the sizes by another 30 percent. Saving the very large PowerCADD files can be a challenge. If I work in High Sierra, sometimes the large files will save more easily. I’m not sure why. So I am hoping that we can have PowerCADD and WildTools converted to run on M1 Macs.

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:41 am

David,

Do a Google search for compressing pdf files. There is a simple way using the Preview app.

One day I would love to see this drawing.

Alfred

lava

Post by lava » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:05 am

Preview is not too effective at compressing placed .png files. If the content is placed .jpg's then yes, lots of control. But .png's generally do not want to compress down and the file size will not reduce, at least with Preview's controls.
Greg La Vardera
www.lamidesign.com

pjmeli

Post by pjmeli » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:01 am

FYI…
If you have a VM application like VMWare Fusion it looks like the VM's you use must have ARM versions of host OS's…tried it on my M1 mac…

Running PowerCadd in an M1 VM looks like a non-starter…

Paul