Hatch with no line

PowerCADD & WildTools
morrieg

Hatch with no line

Post by morrieg » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:12 am

How do I make a hatch pattern visible in an object whose fill and border are transparent? When I remove the border of the object, the hatch disappears, too. I tried a workaround giving the object a 0-pt border, but that border is still faintly visible. I can't just make the border some background color because the object will be above areas of different colors.

Derek
Site Admin

Re: Hatch with no line

Post by Derek » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:29 am

If you set the pen to 'none' it shouldn't show and the hatch will remain visible.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 12.26.14 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 12.26.14 pm.png (53.83 KiB) Viewed 12499 times

morrieg

Post by morrieg » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:27 pm

Derek wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:29 am
If you set the pen to 'none' it shouldn't show and the hatch will remain visible.
That's what you would expect, but it doesn't happen. Setting the pen to none makes the hatch disappear. The pen thickness does not affect the hatch thickness, but the pen visibility affects the hatch visibility.

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:37 pm

From memory, such as it is, I think you can use the Needle tool to copy the attributes from one object to another. You also have the Style tools which are needle tools.

Alfred

morrieg

Post by morrieg » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:50 pm

I used the needle tool to copy the hatch from one object to another object whose pen was "none", but the hatch didn't show up.

However this gave me the idea for a workaround. I have another drawing I made a couple of years ago which has the hatch pattern I need, inside an object whose pen was none (thus proving that this worked once). So I used the needle tool to copy the hatch from that object to my object with no pen pattern in the current drawing, and voila, the hatch appeared and the pen stayed off.

Matt_A

Post by Matt_A » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:50 pm

sounds to me as though your hatch object and your shape object are grouped, and your needle tool is set to apply to objects in group.

morrieg

Post by morrieg » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:28 pm

Alas, the workaround no longer works. I created a bezier and applied a hatch. Then I set the pen to none and the hatch disappeared. The object is still a bezier, not a group.

If I use the needle tool to apply the attributes of another bezier which has a hatch but no pen, to the my current object, the hatch gets transfered but becomes invisible. Both objects are beziers, not groups. The needle tool's attributes are set to "all".

But I found another workaround. While the visibility of the bezier's pen affects the hatch, the transparency does not. So if I set the transparency of the pen to zero the outline goes away.

nametabb

Post by nametabb » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:22 pm

Not sure if this applies but I create a shape. Fill it with the bucket tool White fill), add a hatch to the fill (and remove the fill if I want the hatch to be transparent).

morrieg

Post by morrieg » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:17 pm

That's a workaround, too, but applying the bucket tool to a bezier results in a fill that is an extremely complex polygon with zillions of points, so editing its overall shape is all but impossible. But yes, that does work.