PowerCADD Future

PowerCADD & WildTools
Davydd

Re: PowerCADD Future

Post by Davydd » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:23 pm

I don't understand your new found dislike for Apple. The first Mac cost $6,825 in today's inflated dollars and the precursor, Lisa, even more than a Mac Studio at over $27,000 in today's dollars. You never had the power of a Mac Studio and you always played in a walled garden even more so for most of those 38 years. So does Powercadd and Wild Tools operate on another platform now? Bill Stanley's vision of CAD WYSIWYG couldn't even be physically done on an Intel Microsoft computer several years after the introduction of Powerdraw and to this day is piss poor or reluctantly adapted after Mac development because evidently people don't think like us.

EduardoJB

Post by EduardoJB » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:24 pm

Can we keep this topic about Apple separated from PowerCADD Future? Otherwise, this discussion about Apple being evil, or whatever, will cause an overflow of responses pretty much as it happens on Facebook, with no end in sight, and we will lose track of what we're discussing here.

poolvibe

Post by poolvibe » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:08 pm

Good point Eduardo... Looking forward to PC in the Future (with my appropriately priced Mac :D )

fred johnson

Post by fred johnson » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:10 pm

I watched the twin motion videos; some of the stuff it can do is really amazing locking at just architectural visuals. I have seen some of these before particularly where a model has been created in vectorworks and imported into twin motion. For the purpose of this discussion, however it seems the model must be created first, somewhere, and then brought in for all kinds of good things to happen and it appears that twin motion is now free with Vectorworks 2022, at least for a while and allows direct import of the VW model. I am wondering if most of us really want to be illustrators/animators and to what extent. While impressive, presentation wise, it does not seem to be a tool to more easily produce better architecture or drawings to say nothing about construction documents. All things have their place and I am not sure how this fits in with PC/WT in the near future.

joseph

Post by joseph » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:28 pm

Ok, now... any news about "PowerCADD Future"? -before I die in the present, hopefully.
Last edited by joseph on Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:42 pm

We went to the Richmond Symphony last night. Worst music I’ve ever heard. Mahler. Awful composition. Fine performance by the musicians, not their fault.

And I have a new iPhone SE to replace my 6S. Same small size. Has a button and a soft polyurethane case that feels great in your hand. I understand it has some incredible chips inside but they are wasted on me.

How’s that for off topic!

Alfred
Last edited by Alfred Scott on Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fred johnson

Post by fred johnson » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:32 pm

Alfred,
I agree, we should just concentrate on PC/WT near future direction here. Renderings and such can be taken up in a new forum if there is real interest in PC/WT eventually going in this direction via plug-in, exports or other methods.

SteveMouzon

Post by SteveMouzon » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:52 pm

Just curious if there's any on-topic news? About the FormZ transition? Thanks in advance!!

EduardoJB

Post by EduardoJB » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:41 am

fred johnson wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:10 pm
I watched the twin motion videos; some of the stuff it can do is really amazing locking at just architectural visuals. I have seen some of these before particularly where a model has been created in vectorworks and imported into twin motion. For the purpose of this discussion, however it seems the model must be created first, somewhere, and then brought in for all kinds of good things to happen and it appears that twin motion is now free with Vectorworks 2022, at least for a while and allows direct import of the VW model. I am wondering if most of us really want to be illustrators/animators and to what extent. While impressive, presentation wise, it does not seem to be a tool to more easily produce better architecture or drawings to say nothing about construction documents. All things have their place and I am not sure how this fits in with PC/WT in the near future.
Twinmotion is a rendering software. Not for creating models. You would always have to import.

david kropp

Post by david kropp » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:27 pm

Thanks for everyone’s interest in the future of PowerCADD. Work on the modern PowerCADD is progressing well, and we are very excited about its future. We think you will be delighted with this new version which supports all the latest Apple hardware and includes a modern DWG/DXF translator, among other improvements.

Please understand that we are developing a long-term solution, not just a quick fix. As such, we need some time to deliver a solid solution. There have been significant changes in macOS over the years that require extensive restructuring of legacy PowerCADD code to work efficiently on today’s macOS and Apple hardware. We expect to have more information available in the coming months and a beta version available this summer.

Todd Stanley is leading the core development, and the AutoDesSys team is getting more involved in this project every day. Unfortunately the changes required to modernize PowerCADD similarity affect plugins which must be significantly restructured to work with modern PowerCADD. We are in communication with Alfred regarding Wild Tools, and we will support the efforts to bring WildTools forward.

Please bear with us through the process as we want to deliver a solution that meets the standards you would expect. We look forward to sharing the modern PowerCADD with you soon!

David Kropp
CEO, AutoDesSys