translating from sketchup model

PowerCADD & WildTools
lguth

translating from sketchup model

Post by lguth » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:49 pm

Longtime PC user. Have never used Sketchup. Received SKP models and dwg versions of those models from prior architect. I understand that PC cannot interact with a true 3d model. What's the best method to extract 2-d drawings from those models into a form I can use in PC? Currently downloading SketchupPro free trial. thanks

Paul H

Re: translating from sketchup model

Post by Paul H » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:55 am

Iguth, I wish I could say simply do this or that, however it'll require you to learn SketchUp first. Or have the architect that generated the SketchUp model give you what you need. SketchUp is a terrific program, however it does require some experience with it to generate cross sections and plans that can be exported into PowerCadd. It falls into that category I often hear someone say "don't you just push a button". I sure wish it were so.
Paul

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:52 pm

May I suggest getting FormZ which can import and handle SketchUp files, and then you can use OpenClip to Copy in FormZ and Paste in PowerCADD.

Minor problem is that OpenClip Copy in FormZ needs to be hooked up again. It’s a simple thing and was working once.

As an alternative in the meantime, you just save as DXF and then import that into PowerCADD.

I once was working on using OpenClip to Copy from SketchUp and then Paste in PowerCADD. I don’t remember what the problems were in pulling that off.

Alfred

lava

Post by lava » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:05 am

lguth wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:49 pm
Currently downloading SketchupPro free trial.
before launching into an explanation of how to export elevations, sections, or plans, I suspect that the SU free trial will not allow you to export DWG files. I may be wrong about that, but if not you'll have to subscribe or ask the prior architect to generate those for you.
Greg La Vardera
www.lamidesign.com