PowerCADD - SketchUp Interaction

PowerCADD & WildTools
RTCool

PowerCADD - SketchUp Interaction

Post by RTCool » Thu May 19, 2022 12:08 am

I see comments here and there that quite a few people using PowerCADD also use SketchUp, but there hasn't been a topic to discuss it directly on this board, so I'd like to open a discussion.

First, how many people here use SketchUp?

How many are also on the SketchUp or Sketchucation bulletin boards as well?

I'm scheduled to be a speaker in September at 3D Basecamp. Any other PowerCADD users going to attend?

Any questions or comments that anyone want to discuss on the topic?

Is closer integration of Form•Z going to bring a switch from SketchUp to Form•Z for anyone?

lava

Re: PowerCADD - SketchUp Interaction

Post by lava » Thu May 19, 2022 5:40 am

Long time sketchup — PowerCadd user. I do not frequent any sketchup message boards since PushPull Bar closed. Never been to a base camp. Wouldn’t describe myself as a power user as there are many functions of sketchup I don’t use and I’m not familiar with. However I’ve used from the first Mac version and I’ve become very facile with the way I use it.
Greg La Vardera
www.lamidesign.com

patrickm

Post by patrickm » Thu May 19, 2022 4:20 pm

I'm a long time PC and SU user, but my SU abilities are analogous to old (physical) chipboard study models, mainly for massing and to show allow clients to understand my 2d PC plans. My work flow and fees don't allow me to go overboard with SU. My main issue with SU is the ongoing cost of the current subscription format, so I continue to use SU 2019.

RRichards

Post by RRichards » Thu May 19, 2022 4:44 pm

I use PCADD/SketchUp in a 70/30 proportion and will stay this way. I use PCADD for initial design and also work that involves lots of geometry, then transfer to SU for final design, then transfer DWG drawings back to PCADD for production drawings. A bridge like Alfred has designed will be a great help!

Ralph

Paul H

Post by Paul H » Thu May 19, 2022 5:41 pm

I've been using SketchUp and PowerCadd since both were first introduced. PowerCadd made it possible to get off the drawing board and SketchUp made it possible to explore architectural ideas and presentations without making physical models all the time. They're both terrific applications. Never been to a SketchUp conference.

And for context I now have a MacBook Pro M1 Max and SketchUp is remarkable on it. Latest project is 125 megs and with shadows turned on the commuter doesn't get hot, slow down and moves on screen like butter. Obviously I have to go back and forth with DWG files between an old intel processor MacBook Pro to use PC and the new M1 Max but it's worth it. Using AirDrop to send the DWG files back and forth on both Macs makes it simple and easy. And looking forward to the PowerCadd update that runs with the M processor.

Form Z is interesting and will explore it once PC becomes current. In the meantime SketchUp indispensable.

Paul

PeterKona

Post by PeterKona » Fri May 20, 2022 7:10 pm

Long time using PowerCADD and SketchUp. Mostly using SketchUp for exterior models for exterior elevations, and visualization scenes both exterior and interior, and sometimes site models. PowerCADD for the rest of documentation and studies. I often develop topographic information in PowerCADD and use WildTools TopoTools and WildDXF to put it in SketchUp. I frequent the SketchUp forums.

And I can add my colleague for another one doing some of the same, but he's never on here or other boards.

I'd have to wait and see on Form-Z. It may be useful depending on the nature of interaction with PCADD. The comparison would have to be overwhelming to simply drop the experience I've gained in SketchUp for another software, but it could be an additional tool.

I still use Classic 2019 as I haven't seen anything worth "upgrading" for in SketchUp. I don't care too much about the subscription pricing but I think I've saved myself a lot of headaches by holding back.

ElizE

Post by ElizE » Mon May 23, 2022 4:46 pm

I've been using Powercadd for 15 years and SketchUp 4 years. Both are critical for my business. I was heartbroken when I thought PC was ending. During that time I looked for an alternative but could not find one.

My work is residential remodels and additions. I start my projects in PC drawing the existing house in plan and elevations. I then import the file as a dwg into SU. I redraw in SU without exploding the dwg. This takes longer but I find this saves time in the long run.

During design I work primarily in SU probably 75%. I draft the design options in PC. I show the client the SU files on my iPad. The time spent drawing in SU pays off in time helping the client make a decision. After a final design is chosen I work only in PC to produce the permit and construction drawings.

I read both the PC and SU forums. They're both a wealth of information and really help when I'm having problems. Although, I am on the SU forum a lot more than the PC. I logged in today to see if there is an upgrade to PC. I’d like to update the operating system on my iMac.

I will be attending SU base camp in September and would love to chat with other PC/SU users. I’d especially like to talk about integrating an iPad into your workflow with PC and SU. I have an old iPad but am about to buy a new iPad Pro.

RTCool

Post by RTCool » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:49 pm

Gah! I think I just blinked and months went by! My apologies.

3D Basecamp is less than a month away. For those attending, I'm presenting twice: Wednesday @ 2:40 and Thursday @ 10:50. I'd love to connect with any other PowerCADD user that are attending.

ElizE

Post by ElizE » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:10 am

RTCool I signed up for your presentation on Thursday morning. Maybe we can connect earlier in the week. I'm attending basecamp the full week. I'd love to talk about how you integrate sketch up and Powercadd.

RTCool

Post by RTCool » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:53 am

ElizE Sure, I'd be glad to meet up. Hope there might be some others as well.