Full-Open Tool Palettes

Tell us what you want
Matt_A

Full-Open Tool Palettes

Post by Matt_A » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:51 pm

I sometimes use a Wacom Tablet with PowerCADD. When doing so, the behaviors built-in to the software are often working at cross purposes to the tablet and stylus interface. I believe touch screens will become more common, not less common in the future, and I suggest that the developers put some serious thought into the subject.

One thing that would be very helpful is a tap-and-go interface, for example, current tool palettes (designed originally for the screen on a Mac SE II or something like) use a fly-open method to save screen real estate. In an era of megapixel displays, this is silly. It would be much more convenient for a tablet user to have all the tools available without the pause+flyopen+choose+disappeartheflyopen.

Many of the pop-up menus in PowerCADD should be replaced with tabs, or even better, a larger dialog that presents everything simultaneously.

(* seriously *)
(* it's time *)
(* | *)

/* ------------------------------------------------------------ */
/* -------------- 640x480 IS A THING OF THE PAST ---------------- */
/* ------------------------------------------------------------ */

// 4k Retina entry-level iMac is 4096x2034
// this is 27 times the number of pixels you started with
// DING DING DING time to re-evaluate decisions made in the twentieth century

As a first step, even a single custom tool palette which always stays full open would be a thing of beauty. I estimate it would save me 2x60x8x5x52/60x60 hours a year (~ 60 hours waiting on flyouts at two per minute all year) I would prefer to use that time fishing.