Calibrate to pdf scale

Tell us what you want
EddieJ

Calibrate to pdf scale

Post by EddieJ » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:21 pm

I would like a lazy man's way to calibrate to scale similar to Revu Bluebeam.
Select 'calibrate'.
Find a dimension on the pdf 10' or larger and click a point to point and enter the dimension that you enetered.

Matt_A

Re: Calibrate to pdf scale

Post by Matt_A » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:08 pm

set the drawing scale to the scale you want to use, set units to decimal inches or metric something

draw a line of the length you can identify.
from edit window Copy the length of that line
in the drawing Select the pdf
Choose Edit>>Scale and type in the box the correct dimension you want plus "/", then paste the dimension you copied. Delete the trailing "
click

...too much trouble?

patrickm

Post by patrickm » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:37 pm

Matt's method is basically the same as mine. I used to work with another architect for whom I'd always have to help correct scales of PDFs, imported DWGs, etc. My basic technique was to make sure the drawing was in decimal format, then use the Edit>Scale command then type "what you want"/"what you have". That would scale it up or down accordingly. For some scanned images or PDF's, I might do this a few times to get the scale pretty darn close. On some scans, the X & Y scales would be off by different factors, but I could get the image stretched to the right dimensions by inputting different scale factors into the X & Y Scale boxes. This just takes a second to do, especially if you use a key command shortcut to invoke the Scale window.

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:32 am

You can also use WildTools' Stretch Tool which saves you having to draw a line. You just click on the 2 points on the pdf, Tab into the Edit window and enter the known length.

EddieJ

Post by EddieJ » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:42 pm

Thank you for the help. I'll need a lot. I work with structural steel for a fabricator/erector. I've been a PM for many years using pcadd for RFI's and whatever I need to draw. They sent me home because of covid and I'm doing a lot for drawing, but I'm a bit rusty.
Ed

RRichards

Post by RRichards » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:37 pm

Derek wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:32 am
You can also use WildTools' Stretch Tool which saves you having to draw a line. You just click on the 2 points on the pdf, Tab into the Edit window and enter the known length.
Derek,

Yet another WT that I didn't know about. This is exactly the way it is done in SketchUp and it is so convenient. Thank you!

Cheers,
Ralph

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:50 pm

Credit Derek with the idea for this tool. Makes perfect sense when you think about it.

Alfred

patrickm

Post by patrickm » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:10 pm

RRichards wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:37 pm

Derek,

Yet another WT that I didn't know about. This is exactly the way it is done in SketchUp and it is so convenient. Thank you!

Cheers,
Ralph
Me, too -- I'll have to check it out