PowerCadd 10

fred johnson

Re: PowerCadd 10

Post by fred johnson » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:17 pm

Todd,
Thank you, your response was most helpful.

david kropp

Post by david kropp » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:43 pm

Unfortunately, we do not know why Alfred chose to violate our confidence and make the damaging false statements he made on the forum. His actions left us with little choice at this time. It was quite a surprise and very disappointing as we had talked regularly and fully expected him to develop Wild Tools for PowerCADD 10.

PowerCADD 10 already has features and tools not found in PowerCADD 9. We will keep developing and adding new features beyond the first PowerCADD 10 release. We will listen to feedback and find a way to offer equivalent functionality in the near future. We also would not be surprised to see new developers take on some specialized features in the future as it is much simpler to develop extensions for PowerCADD 10.

We're working hard to get to a general beta as soon as possible.

Thanks for the continued feedback.

RRichards

Post by RRichards » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:51 pm

David,

Will there be a developer kit available as there was way back in PCADD 7? I used this to create a couple very specific tools that helped me a lot.

Cheers,
Ralph

david kropp

Post by david kropp » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:12 pm

RRichards wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:51 pm
David,

Will there be a developer kit available as there was way back in PCADD 7? I used this to create a couple very specific tools that helped me a lot.

Cheers,
Ralph
Yes! The public beta will have some sample externals as well as full access to the SDK.

HSD

Post by HSD » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:24 am

I'll be moving from the older machine running Mohave to a new Studio Mac running the most current-so at least for me, I don't see any reason to not start with current OS and go forward from there.

MWolfe

Post by MWolfe » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:33 pm

[email protected] wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:59 pm
As you know, Apple makes it hard to maintain compatibility with older systems. From an engineering perspective, with PowerCADD 10, we are finding it harder and harder to maintain compatibility with a broad range of older systems. Supporting older systems affects the functionality and performance of PowerCADD 10. We have determined that supporting macOS Monterey, Venture, Sonoma, and what comes after yields the best balance of performance and capabilities. Your feedback is essential. We are looking for feedback on supporting only macOS 12 Monterey and above. What hardships will this cause?

Best,
Todd Stanley
Totally acceptable for me 👍🏻

HSD

Post by HSD » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:50 am

Architect John can you expand on running pc 9 on os 10.14 on a m1 Mac?

Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:27 am

HSD wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:50 am
Architect John can you expand on running pc 9 on os 10.14 on a m1 Mac?
As far as I am aware, there is currently no solution for running PowerCADD 9 on Apple silicon Macs. Neither VM Fusion nor Parallels Desktop support Mac OS 10.14 (Mojave) or earlier on those machines. PC 9 is compiled as a 32 bit application and the last Mac OS that can run 32 bit was Mojave.

revival architecture

Post by revival architecture » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:45 pm

[email protected] wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:59 pm
As you know, Apple makes it hard to maintain compatibility with older systems. From an engineering perspective, with PowerCADD 10, we are finding it harder and harder to maintain compatibility with a broad range of older systems. Supporting older systems affects the functionality and performance of PowerCADD 10. We have determined that supporting macOS Monterey, Venture, Sonoma, and what comes after yields the best balance of performance and capabilities. Your feedback is essential. We are looking for feedback on supporting only macOS 12 Monterey and above. What hardships will this cause?

Best,
Todd Stanley
Honestly, I have picked up a habit of being extremely careful in upgrading my Mac OS as I have learned in the past it might cause issues with software, primarily PowerCADD! Now that I have a separate, old Apple running an old system so that I can run PowerCADD 9, its not as much of an issue any longer. I am presently running Big Sur (11.7.3) on my new machine, which is probably now "old" considering how quickly operating systems get updated, but I do have a "if it aint broke, dont fix it" mentality--meaning my new machine works just fine and I'm busy enough as it is, don't need to invite problems where they don't exist. That all said, if you can send me PowerCADD 10 running on the latest Mac OS, I will happily-HAPPILY- drop thousands to purchase the new software AND new hardware so that my entire office is running the latest PowerCADD--at which point I will jettison Vectorworks and the BIM insanity. I have made up my mind, we are a PowerCADD office and will remain so, my only request is that we get is as soon as possible.

Just to qualify my response a tad-- I consider Wildtools as much of of a part of what makes PowerCADD great as any other feature. Have to have Wildtools with the new PowerCADD.

ArchitectJohn

Post by ArchitectJohn » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:47 pm

Let me clarify that I'm running PowerCadd 9 on VM Fusion on an iMac pro (2017) running Monterey 12.6.8. (3.2 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W). Not a newer M1 chip. Fast machine and running Fusion/Powercadd nicely.