New PowerCADD screenshot!

fred johnson
Re: New PowerCADD screenshot!

Post by fred johnson » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:19 pm

"A superior method is to refer them to the code and put the responsibility for meeting it where it belongs."
Most codes require that the drawing "show" compliance with the code and not merely state "conform to code", at least here in CT

Matt_A

Post by Matt_A » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:03 pm

I agree Fred.

The details on that sheet are generic, copies of the diagrams in the code, not project-specific. I assume the construction documents show the code-compliance of the new work. Do you think a set of construction drawings should have to include the verbatim text of all code sections that apply?

SamPeke

Post by SamPeke » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:41 am

Matt_A wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:03 pm
I agree Fred.

The details on that sheet are generic, copies of the diagrams in the code, not project-specific. I assume the construction documents show the code-compliance of the new work. Do you think a set of construction drawings should have to include the verbatim text of all code sections that apply?
These details are universally applicable to specific project areas and should be consulted for clarity and understanding. In my experience, the document is designed to be adaptable for each project.

Sam Peke.

bellarchitect

Post by bellarchitect » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:47 pm

Matt_A wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:25 pm
PeterKona wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:18 am
Matt_A wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:45 pm

You must work with contractors who don't own a copy of the code.
I see what you mean. For some things you have to spell it out. For other things, the plan checker will require you to add it--so why fight it?
Because you have liability if it isn't perfect... for example when the code changes, for example when activists change grab bar measurements to be measured to the top of the bar instead of the centerline of the bar (this actually happened recently).

A superior method is to refer them to the code and put the responsibility for meeting it where it belongs.
I do a lot of public work (County, municpalites, schools) What I saw on Sam's detail page is what we Architects need to do in order for the GC to get the details correct - and/or CYA. 8-)

fred johnson

Post by fred johnson » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:09 pm

Matt_A wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:03 pm
I agree Fred.

No

e30

Post by e30 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:28 am

Today is my first day working remotely using a 2021 i7 16" MBP running Parallels.
It's useable but kind of annoying. Certain things do not work properly. I am unable to move the layers up or down in the layer window. Seems that things that require some timing in the clicks do not work great. It is a little sluggish as well. To be fair, I am not used to using a laptop to draw so I am having to get used to that as well.
I might trade this in on a 2019 15" MBP and just run Mojave natively.

e30

Post by e30 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:32 am

Actually, just got the layers to work. Just have to wait a second or two before you drag. Again, things that require timing are a bit off. Does anyone have a fix for that?

chip.clark

Post by chip.clark » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:58 pm

if you are still running intel-based hardware, I would look into running bootcamp and keep two separate OSs (Mojave and whatever the most current your hardware can support). you can access the other system's files if you structured it well, or always move through a cloud-storage system for file sharing and backup.

if your workflow requires being able to simultaneously use other software dependent on newer OS, it sounds like you are stuck with parallels to keep PC9 running. Is PC10_Beta too limited for you to work with still? I haven't bothered trying to run any billable work through Beta yet, just occasional follies.

or go ahead and get that other MBP and run two machines concurrently. its a hassle, but Airdrop is a wonderfully simple tool for pushing files between machines.
Chip Clark

e30

Post by e30 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:10 pm

Yup, i might get a 15" MBP and go dual boot.
I will continue to experiment with Parallels for the mean time.
PC10 is not nearly far enough along for me to make any money with it.

e30

Post by e30 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:28 pm

"or go ahead and get that other MBP and run two machines concurrently. its a hassle, but Airdrop is a wonderfully simple tool for pushing files between machines."

Honestly, that might be the best option. I already have an M2 Air.
The only software i use that does not work with Mojave is Google Drive. Acrobat Pro 9 is getting a bit sketchy too. I also don't like that Chrome is not getting any security updates.
If I got a 15" MBP running Mojave, is there a way to use the M2 Air as a second monitor? I don't think mojave supports that.
Hopefully PC10 will be far enough along soon to use that.