New PowerCADD screenshot!

patrickm

Re: New PowerCADD screenshot!

Post by patrickm » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:07 pm

Catterall wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:17 pm
I've been using PowerCADD since the earliest days of PowerDraw, trained by Barry Isakson. I'm about to retire but still need a functioning 2D drafting program, because I will always take on a few projects. I have my doubts that this update will happen anytime soon (why wouldn't I?). What is anyone's experience with AutoCAD LT? With 30 years of PowerCADD experience, what do you think the learning curve is?
I first heard about PowerDraw from Barry, too, at a “day in the life of an architect” presentation at Apple’s office (in Santa Monica?). I remember he also had a code checker that ran on that application that resembled index cards. (My memory can’t retrieve the name.). I remember being in awe when he inserted doors into a wall and flipped the orientation, without erasing through the velum.

Catterall

Post by Catterall » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:45 pm

Yes, Day In The Life An Architect was at Apple's offices in Culver City. I was computer illiterate, but after that presentation I bought a Macintosh desktop unit and PowerDraw. I was completing drawings within a week. I'm afraid that if I finally transition to the dark side (AutoCAD) it won't be so quick. Not sure if it's worth it, but how long do we have to wait for a PowerCADD update?

samb1960

Post by samb1960 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:05 pm

Patiently waiting for the new release. We have faith PowerCadd, but please keep us updated. Thanks for taking on this monumental task. Your users will be grateful and I know you will gain many more!

joseph

Post by joseph » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:06 am

PowerCADD, i draw upon a "paper sheet", if i draw a blue line, the line IS blue, if i draw a thin line, the line is THIN, when i zoom out it becames lighter; graphic "adobe pdf" in PowerCADD is simply -by far- the best. Autocad? No, thanks.
So, please, we LOVE it and we NEED it. :mrgreen:

johncruet48

Post by johncruet48 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:28 pm

Catterall wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:17 pm
I've been using PowerCADD since the earliest days of PowerDraw, trained by Barry Isakson. I'm about to retire but still need a functioning 2D drafting program, because I will always take on a few projects. I have my doubts that this update will happen anytime soon (why wouldn't I?). What is anyone's experience with AutoCAD LT? With 30 years of PowerCADD experience, what do you think the learning curve is?
I had on several occasions, downloaded trial versions of AutoCad LT. After working through online training for a week, I observed that AutoCad LT lacks many of the features I took for granted in PowerCADD and, even, VectorWorks. Even something as seemingly basic as text entry is a big deal with AutoCad LT. In my opinion, PowerCADD is far superior in every way.

revival architecture

Post by revival architecture » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:49 pm

Im at the point I have to decide continuing with another CAD software that I know is maintained and supported, or risk holding out for updated PowerCADD, which I much prefer, but which has proven not to be supported--after years of being strung out on empty promises. Ugh. I am a fool aren't I.

nimes

Post by nimes » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:40 am

The 30x40 Design Workshop has a few tips on how to draft in AutoCAD LT without the typical colors for lineweights workflow, and in a way similar to PowerCADD. I personally use black linework on a cream background in model space (as opposed to colors on a black background). The software is actually quite flexible, and the Mac OS version has a well designed UI fine tuned to Apple's displays.
The 30x40 Design Workshop Autocad graphics tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKD_lTiAf4k

arogerr

Post by arogerr » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:14 am

Alfred Scott wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:07 pm
Not to worry. It’s a big project, and there are a lot of complexities involved in making the transition to 64-bit. These things just take time.

All will be okay. Be patient.

All these issues of the types of chips in the machine are automatically cleared up with the move to the latest OS. PowerCADD is running now with the current OS. You just don’t get to see it until it’s released.

Alfred
Alfred, a lot of us have been waiting and holding onto old equipment in anticipation of PowerCadd to be updated. I'm frustrated having to hold onto an old laptop that is about to die because I'm patiently waiting for PowerCadd updates. There doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency with this update process. From the forum postings, I know I'm not the only one loosing faith. "All will be OK, Be patient" is not very comforting at this point.

mdhawkins

Post by mdhawkins » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:08 am

nimes wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:40 am
The 30x40 Design Workshop has a few tips on how to draft in AutoCAD LT without the typical colors for lineweights workflow, and in a way similar to PowerCADD. I personally use black linework on a cream background in model space (as opposed to colors on a black background). The software is actually quite flexible, and the Mac OS version has a well designed UI fine tuned to Apple's displays.
The 30x40 Design Workshop Autocad graphics tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKD_lTiAf4k
Thanks for sharing. I've been following 30x40 Design Workshop and found his tools and methodology informative. Maybe someone should create an PowerCADD transition to AutoCAD tutorial. I'd be willing to pay for it.

I'm playing around with all the tools and trying to recreate or advance my PowerCADD skills in AutoCAD.

Keith Renton

Post by Keith Renton » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:39 am

Hi

I made the hard decision over 18 months ago to invest my time and money in Vectorworks. It has been a hard transition but I have no regrets. I'd say that I can now draft 2d work faster in VW than I can in powecadd but with the advantage of 3d/2d hybrid drawing. Workflow is greatly improved as I now use VW for everything from initial designs, 3d visualisations through to complete working drawings. In the process I've been able to ditch Sketchup as I can do everything I need within the one package. It wasn't easy but in the end I think worth it. I now have a package that does all I need and more. I still use powercadd to work through older projects but the time spent using PC is ever decreasing. Then of course there is the support available and regular updates which far exceeds anything that has been available with PC, even in the good times!

I do hope everything works out in the future for PC but feel that the reality and expectations may unfortunately differ.