PowerCadd 10

Derek
Site Admin

Re: PowerCadd 10

Post by Derek » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:59 pm

Marco wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:45 pm
Will powercadd 10 be able to open powercadd 9 files?
Yes

c.szollosi.nj

Post by c.szollosi.nj » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:41 pm

Before we all get too giddy, and this may have been touched upon previously, but, which legacy file versions of PowerCADD will PC10 open? Have a feeling that unless we have all been fastidious in updating older files as time has marched on, we will still need to keep a copy of PC9 or older running in order to be able to access those older files. Just something to keep in mind :D

iparos

Post by iparos » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:39 pm

PowerCADD 10 can open PowerCADD 10 (of course) and PowerCADD 9 file format.
The Engineered Software, at the time of the release of PowerCADD 9, suggested that all users convert old PowerCADD files to the PC9 format also because the previous file format was divided into two parts: resource fork and data fork and Apple did not no longer supports these file types in OSX.
The operation to do at the time was simple: you had to search for old PowerCADD files and open them with PowerCADD 9 and save them in PC9 format.
With PowerCADD 10 you will need to maintain a Mac running PowerCADD 9 or an older version of PowerCADD to open old files (as long as the Data/Resources fork link was not corrupted during saving or transferring from one disk to another).

I suggest right now to search for PowerCADD files and open and save them with PowerCADD 9 it will take some time but you will have an updated PowerCADD file library ready for PowerCADD 10.

RTCool

Post by RTCool » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:35 pm

This is the kind or truly repetitive task that computers are really good at. I wish it could be automated like open every file in a given folder and then resave with a bit of text appended to the name to make it unique. Maybe even Apple script or something could do this?

I have a similar problem just opening PD9 files from one machine on a newer OS. The newer OS had a problem with some of my fonts, so I had generate new versions of the same thing. Now every time I open a file on the new system it goes through asking my what fonts to substitute. I wish I could just have a saved list for it to follow and just do it.

Matt_A

Post by Matt_A » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:47 pm

Weird, like you're saying a person could drop a folder full of .PC9 files on a little macro app, and it would churn through them and save .PC10 versions?

Rik Negus

Post by Rik Negus » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:37 pm

Goodbye PowerCadd
It has been 33 years and you have served me well during that time but it is time to move on.
The office I work with is all on Revit so today I decided to make the jump, I will also be leaving SketchUp behind.
I have ordered a new Mac Studio and a 27" monitor and I will run Parallels on it using Revit on the Mac.
I will be 79 in February and I am give this opportunity to learn new things.
Nothing is forever.

JoyceWeise

Post by JoyceWeise » Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:43 pm

Rik,

First of all I think it is great that you are still working at 79, I love it. Second, you are so right it is never too late to learn.

I am going to update to a Mac Studio as well, I already have the new 27" Apple Display. I have purchased Vectorworks and will start learning it this winter. I am holding out for the new PowerCadd, not giving up on it, but want to be sure I have another software to use in case PowerCadd 10 keeps getting delayed. I understand the angst at getting it updated, but I have to make sure I can continue to create landscape plans for my clients. This has been frustrating for sure. Who knows if the new PowerCadd will even meet my needs. The lack of communication from the developers is disappointing and does not help my confidence of seeing anything in the near future. I am a patient person but my clients are not. I have to keep working.

Which Mac Studio are you getting?

Thank you.

Joyce

RTCool

Post by RTCool » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:11 am

Matt_A wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:47 pm
Weird, like you're saying a person could drop a folder full of .PC9 files on a little macro app, and it would churn through them and save .PC10 versions?
That's what I'd like to see. I'm not the guy with the knowledge to do it, but I don't think that's a huge programming challenge to accomplish.

gingerninja

Post by gingerninja » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:53 pm

Quick question,

Will PowerCadd 10 continue with the green security dongle (in a USB C form)?

Regards

Robert

NedB

Post by NedB » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:16 pm

I’m a UK licensed user and originally was tied to using the dongle but haven’t had to use one since (from memory) updating to PC9.