Latest Words

PowerCADD & WildTools
joseph

Latest Words

Post by joseph » Tue May 11, 2021 9:53 am

Hello, i can't find latest official statement from engsw or developer(s) about the future of PowerCADD.

Keith Renton

Re: Latest Words

Post by Keith Renton » Tue May 11, 2021 12:09 pm

Hi

That's because there is none and has been the cause of increasing frustration by all users (see other threads on the future of Pcadd). For this very reason I've made the difficult decision to move over to a new platform at great cost in time and money.

Regards

keith

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Tue May 11, 2021 2:17 pm

Keith,

I think that’s a mistake.

Alfred

fred johnson

Post by fred johnson » Tue May 11, 2021 3:21 pm

Keith,
I tend to agree with Alfred, although I work mostly with VWA. A long enjoyable and productive workflow with PC/WT is not to be easily discarded and the last word has not been spoken yet. You will certainly have to rethink the way you produce drawings and how important that process is or will be to your enjoyment of the methods.

PeterKona

Post by PeterKona » Tue May 11, 2021 6:56 pm

I think people are concerned that it won't work any longer--as it does not work with the current MacOS and hardware. Maybe it works in emulation? Anyway people have to plan ahead.

joseph

Post by joseph » Wed May 12, 2021 7:34 am

Alfred Scott wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:17 pm
Keith,

I think that’s a mistake.

Alfred
Draws like no other cad. :) Hopefully, draws further.

Keith Renton

Post by Keith Renton » Wed May 12, 2021 12:40 pm

Hi folks

Although I'm making the move to VW, with the amount of projects already started in Pcadd I'll still be an active user for a couple of years yet.

My decision wasn't entirely driven by the situation with Pcadd there was an element of frustration at how Sketchup and layout has evolved (or not) and the move to an annual license fee for SU/layout, this despite the fact you still need to pay for plugins to make SU work well. My intention is to move all my work over to a single platform for 2D and 3D rather than the mixed and ad hoc way I currently work jumping between the two and involving a lot of duplicated work and redrawing.

I do hope Pcadd has a future as it is a great 2D package and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone wanting to work and present drawings in 2D.

Regards

Keith

EduardoJB

Post by EduardoJB » Wed May 12, 2021 1:37 pm

It may be much to ask, and I understand if members would not want to respond to my questions, as I've seen other answers to similar questions, but here it goes... I did install a Parallels Desktop Virtual Machine with Mojave (without yet upgrading from Mojave from the computer, just in case...) just for using PowerCADD a few months ago, but was greeted with resolution problems (lines did not look good, etc.), so I never tried again until today, and suddenly everything looks much better. My question is, if I upgrade to Big Sur, would Parallels continue working? I know it has limitations like being unable to use another display, but apart from that, can I expect glitches or any other functions not behaving in the right way? Until the newer version of PowerCADD is released, I would probably end up buying another laptop and carry both to the office since some apps don't work with Mojave anymore and don't want to spend the same amount a newer laptop would cost in another application (not to mention the learning curve) while keeping an outdated computer. Sorry again if I'm repeating questions... but seeing that nobody can't predict when will the PowerCADD upgrade will come out (if it ever does), I'm trying to find the more sensible solution. This has happened to me before and lost all files from an application that suddenly disappeared and had no compatibility with others.

Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse » Wed May 12, 2021 1:47 pm

I was a PowerDraw PowerCADD user from 1990 to 2005.
Because of the upgrade prices charged by the French distributor, I gradually abandoned PowerCADD for my own software RealCADD but I always followed the evolution of PowerCADD.
I know that my software is not at the level of PowerCADD, especially with the WildTools but it is suitable to me and others.
The difficulties Engineered Software is having in updating PowerCADD are distressing to me, although I find it hard to understand.
It would be a shame if PowerCADD disappeared.
It was a forerunner and remains an example.