PowerCADD Future

PowerCADD & WildTools
todd@engsw.com
Site Admin

PowerCADD Future

Post by todd@engsw.com » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:55 am

It is with a heavy hearts and much sadness that Engineered Software’s announcement of PowerCADD’s future must be made.

You have been a diverse, eager and exciting group of people to work with and your loyalty to PowerCADD has been appreciated and will be remembered for a lifetime. The employees here at Engineered Software have developed many lasting friendships among our users. It is with deepest regret that we must notify you of the decision to discontinue future development of PowerCADD. After several years of development of the next version, it has become abundantly clear that we will not be able to deliver PowerCADD 11 on the timeframe needed by our users.

As you know, PowerCADD grew roots in the 80’s, long before OS X. With all of Apple’s changes through the years, we have continued to upgrade and change with Apple’s new directions and operating systems. Each new direction and operating system added more and better platforms for your software. With each new release of OS brought more complexity, new languages and more rewriting. While in the middle of PowerCADD 11 conversion to a total rewrite of the user interface for the AppKit using Objective-C, it became clear that Apple had once again changed directions once again. That direction was moving toward Swift and SwiftUI, leaving Objective-C and APPkit.

Apple’s direction has left us with 4 possibilities:
1. Continue on the current path, implementing with AppKit and Objective-C, knowing this implementation will soon be obsolete.
2. Convert the last three years of work to Swift and SwiftUI, working around the issues with Swift’s inability to interface with C++, the language of PowerCADD’s core.
3. Some combination of 1 and 2.
4. End development of PowerCADD.

In light of all of the above, we have decided to end development of PowerCADD. We will continue to provide technical support for PowerCADD and we are very sorry we cannot continue on this journey with you.

Sincerely,

Todd Stanley
Engineered Software

Joe Mattei

Re: PowerCADD Future

Post by Joe Mattei » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:45 am

Well that just made my Monday!

jfindlay

Post by jfindlay » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:12 pm

Well - sorry to read this, but at least now we know. I can start the process of moving on rather than waiting endlessly for an update.

Appreciate your coming forward with this Todd.

J Findlay

joseph

Post by joseph » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:24 pm

5. Leave (sell) to other guys/company the development of PowerCADD.

Why not?
Draws like no other cad.

poolvibe

Post by poolvibe » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:23 pm

Not the news I was hoping for but it's good to have a definitive answer and conclusion. Thank you Todd.

todd@engsw.com
Site Admin

Post by todd@engsw.com » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:09 pm

joseph wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:24 pm
5. Leave (sell) to other guys/company the development of PowerCADD.

Why not?
Draws like no other cad.
In order for that to be successful there would need to be economic viability for a purchaser. The bar for economic viability is dramatically lower for Engineered Software than is would be for any company interested in continuing development. The startup cost to come onboard any software project is enormous. Engineered Software doesn't have that cost and we have still determined the cost to convert PowerCADD to Swift or some hybrid of Swift/Objective-C is greater than the possible return for the size of the Macintosh CAD market. Were that to be the only factor it is likely Engineered Software would continue development. Unfortunately, the solution isn't quite as easy as simply adding a number 5.

I appreciate our user's dedication to PowerCADD. The decision to end development has not been an easy one to make. PowerDraw began as a set of jotted-down notes and a rudimentary implementation I began while I was a poor college student. Engineered Software was formed by Bill, Susan and myself when I was able to convince Bill and Susan that we could actually turn it into a product. Even though Bill could be a difficult person, he and Susan were tireless champions making PowerDraw come to be, all of us adding unique talents to the mix. PowerDraw ultimately became PowerCADD.

It is not without great sadness and consideration of the options that I have come to this point.

poolvibe

Post by poolvibe » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:26 pm

Todd,

I understand the economics. What you may not be factoring is that many of us would pay 2, 3 or 4 times the current rate to keep PC. I know I would pay 20k for 5 seats right now for an M1 updated version. Just another perspective.

-Frank

PeterKona

Post by PeterKona » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:04 am

Thank you. Todd. Many times over.

And thanks to all the people who contributed to making PowerCADD what it is (it still is!). Best of luck going forward!

bellarchitect

Post by bellarchitect » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:37 pm

Thank you Todd and Alfred and all the best for your future work......may God bless you both!

Frank

bellarchitect

Post by bellarchitect » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:56 pm

I will continue to use PowerCADD for the as long as the older hardware holds up.......but, does anyone have recommendations on other drawing software similar to PC for Mac's? I don't want get into the AutoCad/VectorWorks type products. Thanks!