PowerCADD Future

PowerCADD & WildTools
nametabb

Re: PowerCADD Future

Post by nametabb » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:46 pm

Ouch!

I have the same feeling I had when my first girlfriend left me. In the end my relationship with PowerCADD lasted my longer, my love for it more.

As one of the many frustrated users praying for an updated I understand Todd wanting to unload the overwhelming burden as described.

Alfred, not sure where we all go from here, but wanted to thank you for Wildtools and you continued support. Both here and on the phone. A real mensch! (that's a New York compliment).

Thank you for the suggestion of HighDesign, I will give it a try. I have Vectorworks on a second newer Mac but can't not use PowerCADD. Will not have to make a concerted effort now to learn these programs. One last project to finish before the switch.

I'll continue to visit this site until it winds down. I truly enjoyed hearing from other enlightened PowerCADD users.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Bill

bellarchitect

Post by bellarchitect » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:35 pm

Hi Alfred and Todd,

Todd had mentioned in an earlier post - last year I believe, or maybe the year prior - that there was a way to transition PC to the newer MacOS without going through a lot of work. But,Todd felt rewriting PC was the way to go. Now with the M1, is what Todd was stating earlier still feasible? And can PC be upgraded to a minimal point? I'd be willing to pay for the upgrade fee and I'm sure others would also. Thanks - Frank

Charles Freeborn

Post by Charles Freeborn » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:46 pm

I've been a PC user since the early days.. and have built my entire 2-d drawing library in it. (furniture maker). I anticipate another 5-10 years of continued work in my field before I retire and build birdhouses in my garage (requiring no working drawings..) Before that takes place I do have one rather large remodel to do on my own house that I will be doing all the design and drafting on.

So here are some specific questions for how I can proceed.
What is the most recent Mac OS that will run the current version of PC?
What is the most recent version of PC and what is the maximum compatibility of it with which OS?

I have been limping along one last iMac that runs Sierra OS. It is a currently a perfectly functional machine, but I realize it's days are numbered.

Thanks.

Alfred Scott

Post by Alfred Scott » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:09 pm

Charles,

You can download the current shipping versions of PC/WT from www.engsw.com, but then quickly update WildTools from WildTools Updates in the Help Menu in PowerCADD.

Alfred

Paul H

Post by Paul H » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:05 pm

The news regarding PowerCADD is not totally unexpected, however it's profoundly disappointing. I started with PowerDraw and over the years have become dependent on PowerCADD and WildTools for my CAD drawings. There is no other software that comes close and I explored them all.

Thank you Todd and Alfred, you made it possible to move from the drafting board to the computer a work of art. I'm deeply grateful for all you've done. With PowerCADD shutting down it appears it may also be a time for me to retire as a result, and not a choice I wanted to be forced to make. However I have no interest in learning new software to draw with and there are other adventures that await.

Thank you, thank you, and I trust other adventures will engage your creative talents and be very rewarding.

Alfred, you've been a shinning light and your consistent and the extraordinary tools you've created with WildTools has been an inspiration and was delivered with humor which I enjoyed. Thank you, and I'll miss it.

Paul

todd@engsw.com
Site Admin

Post by todd@engsw.com » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:35 pm

Charles Freeborn wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:46 pm
What is the most recent version of PC and what is the maximum compatibility of it with which OS?

I have been limping along one last iMac that runs Sierra OS. It is a currently a perfectly functional machine, but I realize it's days are numbered.

Thanks.
Charles,

The newest version of PowerCADD is 9.1.11 which is compatible with macOS up through 10.14.x.

As for computers that are capable of running 10.14, I believe the Intel-based iMacs are capable even though they come with Big Sur. For other models, please check with Apple as they can instruct you as to which models are 10.14 capable.

Best,
Todd

SteveMouzon

Post by SteveMouzon » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:28 pm

poolvibe wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:26 pm
Todd,

I understand the economics. What you may not be factoring is that many of us would pay 2, 3 or 4 times the current rate to keep PC. I know I would pay 20k for 5 seats right now for an M1 updated version. Just another perspective.

-Frank
Frank, I heartily second that. PowerCADD was sold at a bargain-basement price since the beginning.

~Steve

Charles Freeborn

Post by Charles Freeborn » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:49 pm

todd@engsw.com wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:35 pm
Charles Freeborn wrote:

Thanks.
Charles,

The newest version of PowerCADD is 9.1.11 which is compatible with macOS up through 10.14.x.

As for computers that are capable of running 10.14, I believe the Intel-based iMacs are capable even though they come with Big Sur. For other models, please check with Apple as they can instruct you as to which models are 10.14 capable.

Best,
Todd
Many thanks.
I'm running PC 9.1.8 currently. I'll look into the upgrade to .11. My iMac is running OS 10.13.6, which is as far as it will go.

-C

bellarchitect

Post by bellarchitect » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:18 am

Charles Freeborn wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:49 pm
todd@engsw.com wrote:
Charles Freeborn wrote:

Thanks.
Charles,

Best,
Todd
Many thanks.
I'm running PC 9.1.8 currently. I'll look into the upgrade to .11. My iMac is running OS 10.13.6, which is as far as it will go.

-C

Charles, you cannot purchase a new Mac running Big Sur and expect to run PC on it by downgrading (even if it's an Intel chip) to Mojave because Apple does not allow the computer to go back to older OS versions. Whatever OS the computer was shipped with is the base OS you can downgrade to. If you purchase a new computer and create two partitions in the HD for two separate OS's, Apple will not support and most likely not warranty this since you are running two OS's. You will need to purchase the most current computer running Mojave (it's going to be used). I verified this with Apple tonight. There are PC users posts explaining what they have done to run PC on new machines. You might want to do a little digging to see what others have done. I am planning on keepinig my 2016 MBP with Mojave as long as possible. I also have a 2006 iMac, 2011 15" MBP and a 13" MBP. Plus, my daughters have older MB Air's which may be upgraded in a few years. I'm planning on keeping as may older Mac's in the corner so I can run PC, which we all have come to love. Hope this helps. Have a nice evening!

Charles Freeborn

Post by Charles Freeborn » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:17 am

bellarchitect wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:18 am
Charles Freeborn wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:49 pm
todd@engsw.com wrote:

Charles,

Best,
Todd
Many thanks.

-C

Charles, you cannot purchase a new Mac running Big Sur and expect to run PC on it by downgrading (even if it's an Intel chip) to Mojave because Apple does not allow the computer to go back to older OS versions. Whatever OS the computer was shipped with is the base OS you can downgrade to. If you purchase a new computer and create two partitions in the HD for two separate OS's, Apple will not support and most likely not warranty this since you are running two OS's. You will need to purchase the most current computer running Mojave (it's going to be used). I verified this with Apple tonight. There are PC users posts explaining what they have done to run PC on new machines. You might want to do a little digging to see what others have done. I am planning on keepinig my 2016 MBP with Mojave as long as possible. I also have a 2006 iMac, 2011 15" MBP and a 13" MBP. Plus, my daughters have older MB Air's which may be upgraded in a few years. I'm planning on keeping as may older Mac's in the corner so I can run PC, which we all have come to love. Hope this helps. Have a nice evening!
No intention of buying a new mac and trying to run PC. I'll keep this iMac running as long as possible and hopefully ride out the rest of my design career with the most recent version of PC.
I honestly am looking forward to doing little more than a sketch on a napkin and heading out to my shop to make parts. For me the design portion of projects has always been a money loser. I get paid to produce physical products, not ideas...